So you are looking to start a new blog? You have come to the right place. Welcome to DMAC’S definitive guide to building a successful blog.
- Pick a topic
Choosing a topic for your blog is an all-essential step. It will dictate your keyword research, article topics, message, voice, tone and structure. Before you decide upon the topic, make certain that it is something you are comfortable writing about. Without passion and comfort, your efforts will quickly fade.
- Understand your target market
In order to attract readers, you will have to learn to speak their language. If you are building a company blog, your audience will perhaps be customers and prospects looking for tips and products/services. Do some thorough research in order to find out who your target audience is, why they would want to read your blog (issues they face) and what their needs are. Using the information you have collected through research, create a reader profile for yourself and use it as your blue print. Use the table below to guide your research:
|Who will be reading your blog?||Why do they want to read your blog?||What are their needs? How can you help?|
- Select a domain, hosting plan and theme
Follow these steps to help you select the right domain, hosting plan and theme
- Find the right domain. Do your keyword research beforehand in order to know which words should be included in the domain name.
- Purchase your domain and hosting plan. If you are building a business blog, WordPress is the best way to do it. It’s easy to set up and is search engine friendly.
- Select a theme. Check out the reviews for each theme and test the site load speed. Monitor the bounce rate the first month to ensure that the theme is user friendly, clean and easy to navigate.=
- Establish Quantifiable Goals
Blogging takes time and patience. Before you create one, ask yourself: What do I hope to achieve? Make sure that these goals are measurable and have realistic deadlines. It’s also important to establish a consistent schedule and stick with it.
- Create Engaging Content & Share:
Once everything is set up and your goals are set, it’s time to sit down and write the content. If you run out of ideas about what to write on, check Google Trends, trending topics on social media channels and Google News. Once the content is published, share it on your social media channels and social bookmarking sites (Scoop.it, Digg, Reddit).
Digital Media Academy of Canada has partnered with some of the leading digital marketing experts in the digital media world. Our goal is to become acquainted with online marketing best practices. Our customized corporate training sessions in areas of web design, social media marketing and search engine marketing will help you become proactive at identifying phishing scams, handling negative reviews and comments and using social media as a vehicle to drive business growth.