What is Gen Z & What Impacts do They Have on Digital Marketing
Gen Z Is the generation of people who were born between 1996 and the 2010s. People born in Gen Z undoubtedly are living in the technological era and are changing marketers’ approach to Digital Marketing. Gen Z has grown up with mobile phones, video games, and computers, and generally understands technology better than prior generations. The people in Gen Z value diversity within marketing and thrive to change standards in today’s society. Generation Z also leads all generations with 89% of generation Z using social media daily.
1. Gen Z Has FOMO
What is FOMO?
(Fear. Of. Missing. Out)
Tapping into the emotion “FOMO” by offering limited-time deals for your followers can boost engagement rates in your Digital Marketing Strategy. If you have an upcoming drop and your brand promotes it on social media, your brand’s followers will stay tuned so they don’t miss out on any of your products. This strategy works on all social media platforms. Posting limited-time offers and exclusive deals can also be a valid strategy to enhance the “FOMO” effect.
2. Gen Z Loves Eye-Catching Visual Content
The often-used phrase “a picture says a thousand words” holds true in Digital Marketing. Visual content marketing involves using visual content, such as images, videos, and GIFs, to convey information to your audience. Gen Z prefers Visual Content over any kind of content which is a consistent pattern across most age groups. The manifest study showed that images proved to be the most popular type of content as 77% of Gen Z prefer to post images on social media. A Pew study showed that 85% of teens use YouTube, YouTube isn’t just used as entertainment but is used by many internet users to gain knowledge and learn new skills.
3. Use Humor in Your Digital Marketing Strategy
Humor can be a valuable asset in today’s Digital Marketing World. Any company that plans to attract Generation Z should have a good sense of humor. Consumers find this approach fun, cool, and funny and can attract more people as well as leave stronger impressions. Using memes combines visual content and humor and can play a crucial role in building a relationship with consumers. What’s important in this strategy is your brand voice should already be known to be fun. For example, a company like Lamborghini may not be the best fit for using comedy, but for a brand like Disney, it can work wonders.
4. Interact With Gen Z Through the Digital World
What do I mean by interactive content?
Interactive content can mean multiple things, it could mean:
- i) Making people click, swipe, etc.
- ii) Responding to consumers’ questions
- i) Research suggests that using interactive content in your Digital Marketing strategy can prove to be a plus. Using interactive content starts a conversation and makes people use their heads, simple ideas such as polls can make consumers think and engage in your content.
- ii) Providing strong customer service to your consumers helps prove how reliable your brand is. Gen Z consumers chose a brand that provides fast customer response time over one that doesn’t. Being a reliable brand will nurture loyalty and creates long-term consumers.
5. TikTok is Made for Gen Z
What is TikTok?
TikTok is a social network where users can share, create, and watch short videos on their mobile devices. TikTok’s algorithm personalizes your feed to appeal to your interest, making it a popular social network for young people. Roughly 50% of TikTok’s global audience is under the age of 34 with 32.5% aged between 10 and 19.
TikTok is popular for Gen Z’ers for two main reasons:
- Entertainment Value. TikTok users enjoy the content, it’s funnier than most, and it’s easy for people to sit back, open their phones and watch.
- Short videos. Scrolling through TikTok can last hours, there are always new videos with different types of content and so many opportunities to discover new brands that have an entertaining message.
For companies that are youth-oriented TikTok plays a crucial role in their Digital Marketing campaigns. Companies that have entertaining TikTok content have the ability to attract anyone on TikTok.
About DMAC | Online Digital Marketing Course Certification
DMAC offers a selection of comprehensive online Digital Marketing courses that teach you the fundamentals of Social and Digital Marketing. The courses are focused on hands-on skills and step by step instructions for actually managing Digital Marketing campaigns. The skills you acquire in this course can help Digital Marketers with any level of background knowledge. Upon completing a DMAC online course you will receive certification and a digital diploma which can be shared on your resume and LinkedIn profile.
DMAC also offers customized corporate training seminars. The DMAC training provides your business with hands-on experience. Coming out of the DMAC training, your business will learn the most updated Digital Marketing strategies and the latest tools available which can be applied to your business or organization’s Digital Marketing campaigns immediately.